As part of our New Year’s Resolutions campaign we hosted a #dumpyourjunk decluttering Twitter chat with founder of ‘Zero Waste Week’ Rachelle Strauss (known to many as Mrs Green).
What was originally planned as a half hour Q&A turned into an inspirational, hour-long Twitter party with many other declutterers joining in.
In the meantime, have a read of some of the great tips below that came out of the Q&A and click through to the #dumpyourjunk hashtag to see the full conversations.
Q: @MSE_Forum: What’s your top decluttering tip?
- @myzerowaste: “Swishing [swapping clothes] is fab if family don’t want to swap – add friends, nibbles and wine!”
- @coachykim: “My top decluttering tip is… getting rid of things I haven’t used or worn for a year.”
- @CantSwingACat: “Also, carboot sales are one of my faves for ridding old clothes, though you’ll probably just get £1 or £2.”
Q: @MSE_Forum: Do you sell stuff when you’re decluttering or give it to charity?
- @CantSwingACat: “Probably mostly sell as I need the money. But I buy from charity shops & tell myself that’s how I’m doing my bit.”
- @RaisingWildOnes: “Yep, until we’ve paid off debts, then the junk will be donated :p”
- @DRnaturegirl: “Everything! Give away, freecycle, eBay, local ads, recycling banks and charity.”
- @Mehubbyandkids: “My dining room has five boxes in to go to the charity shop. Been there nearly two weeks now.”
Q: @MSE_Forum: What can I do with half-used toiletries?
- @RaisingWildOnes: “Give them to kids to play with in the bath & get clean at the same time. Or just use them all up if you like them!”
- @coachykim: “Check them first for expiry dates, and liquids for separation or bad smells. Any of the above, chuckout!”
- @TotsAdventures: “I use half-used conditioner to make my kids paint.”
Q: @MSE_Forum: What are your top tips for waste-free make-up removal?
- @Cottage_R: “I use an oil based liquid makeup remover – only needs a towel so no waste! Bottle can be recycled!”
- @Mehubbyandkids: “Crochet little make up remover pads. They can be washed and reused instead of cotton wool that needs to be thrown.”
- @CantSwingACat: “Stick a box of half-used toiletries in your bathroom, ban yourself from buying more until you’ve used them up.”
- @myzerowaste: “Tips for waste free make up removal here.”
Q: @MSE_Forum: When it comes to decluttering, are you a flylady or a slow burner?
- @myzerowaste: “HaHa! A procrastinator, unfortunately! But then a whirlwind who burns out *sigh*.”
- @makeandmendyear: “I go in fits and starts! I did the #minsgame last year – one item on day 1, two on day 2 etc, up to 30, and that was great.”
- @KarenCannard: “A slow burner, most definitely. Surprised husband hasn’t tripped over anything yet.”
For more ways to make cash from your clutter, check out our How to sell on eBay and Boost your income guides and join our Old Style MoneySaving the Best Upcycling and Re-use Tips forum threads to talk it over with other declutterers.
Do you have any of your own tips on how best to declutter and have a spring clean? Please let us know your thoughts in the discussion below or on the forum.