Government of India intends to introduce a uniform system for maintenance of EMR / EHR by the hospitals and healthcare providers in the country. An expert committee was set up to develop EMR / EHR Standards after which the ‘Electronic Health Record Standards for India’ have been finalised and approved by the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India.
Advantages of Electronic Health Records
EHRs and the ability to exchange health information electronically can help you provide higher quality and safer care for patients while creating tangible enhancements for your organisation. EHRs provide:
– Better health care by improving all aspects of patient care, including safety, effectiveness, patient-centeredness, communication, education, timeliness, and efficiency.
– Better health by encouraging healthier lifestyles in the entire population, including increased physical activity, better nutrition, avoidance of behavioral risks, and wider use of preventative care.
– Improved efficiencies and lower health care costs by promoting preventative medicine and improved coordination of health care services, as well as by reducing waste and redundant tests.
– Better clinical decision making by integrating patient information from multiple sources.
– Accurate, up-to-date, and complete information about patients at the point of care
– Secure sharing of electronic information with patients and other clinicians
– Safer and more reliable electronic prescribing with seamless communication to pharmacies
– Quick remote access to data
– Reduced costs through decrease in paperwork, improving safety, reducing duplication of testing, and improving health.
– Easier follow ups on cases and referral to specialists as per requirement
– Improved productivity of the medical professionals